08 December 2014

"Be Watchful! Be Alert!"


First Sunday of Advent
            Last Sunday I shared with you that I was hit on my way to a dentist appointment in Williamston, and my car was beat up pretty bad.  I was very blest that there was really no damage to my person, and I was able to walk away from the crash; and, after making sure there were no injuries at the ER of Sparrow Hospital in Lansing, I have been pain free since last Monday.  What I didn’t share then is that I had called Shelly in our office (handsfree to be safe!) just to check on a couple of things on my way to the dentist’s office, and Shelly told me, “Drive safely!”  For whatever reason, after hanging-up, I remember thinking: ‘If I died in a car crash today, at least the last thing I would have done was say Mass [at 8 a.m.].’  But then I remember thinking that I shouldn’t be so melodramatic. 
            Obviously I didn’t die!  But since then, not having a scratch on me, and seeing the way the front end of the car looked, my mind has often returned to how different things could have been for me.  In a similar set of circumstances, I’m sure there are people who have not been able to crawl over to the passenger side of the vehicle and climb out.  I’m sure that many people have had broken noses and bruising on their faces.  But I am not one of them.  I escaped from that traumatic event with a small scrape on below my knee and a sore neck for two days; in essence, no real pain or trauma. 
            But when I saw this Gospel passage, and read Jesus saying, “‘Be watchful!  Be alert!  You do not know when the time will come.’” it certainly hit me differently this year than it has before.  If just a few of the details of the crash would have been different, I might have been buried from my first assignment as the sole priest. 
            I could also connect with the first reading from Isaiah: “Would that you might meet us doing right, that we were mindful of you in our ways!  […W]e are sinful; all of us have become like unclean people, all our good deeds are like polluted rags.”  What a joy it would have been to know that the last thing I did was provide Jesus to His people!  What a comfort to know that, for all my sins, my last deed was uniting people to the Blood of Jesus which cleanses us from sin and death!  Maybe it will still be that way.  Priests often hope that the last thing they do on earth is celebrating a sacrament with people, what we in the trade refer to as “dying with our boots on.”  But, as the Prophet Isaiah reminds us, even our good deeds are not enough.  Nothing we can do can earn our way into heaven.  It is Christ who welcomes us into heaven, if we have followed Him to the best of our ability as disciples.  And we know neither the day nor the hour. 
            Staying awake for a long time is hard.  Keeping our attention when it seems like we can slack off can sometimes feel impossible.  But that is what the Lord calls us to.  He calls us to always be people ready for judgment.  He calls us to be “gatekeepers…on the watch.”  My recent car episode has reminded me of that.  And it leads me to ask a question to you and me: what did you do before you came to Mass?  If, God-forbid, you would have died on your way here this morning, what would be the last thing that you did?  Did you yell at your children or embrace them?  Did words of love emanate from your mouth or words of hate?  Did you look down on the homeless man walking along the street, or pray that he may find shelter and a job?
            One of the posts on Facebook in response to the pictures of the car post-crash was from the diocesan Master of Ceremonies, Deacon Tom Fogle.  He wrote, “God has more plans for you if you were able to walk away from this without injury.”  Maybe Deacon Tom just wants me to help him more around the diocese with Masses the Bishop celebrates.  But God does have a plan for my life.  And He has a plan for your life.  And the only person who can really mess with that plan is me; is you.  We are the only ones who can derail that purpose for which God put us on the earth, no matter whether that plan was for a short time, like the sad situation when a child dies in the womb, or whether that plan was for 80 years.  Not even the devil himself can truly stop the plan of God in our life as long as we are willing to cooperate with God.  Bl. John Henry Cardinal Newman put it this way:

God has created me to do Him some definite service.  He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another.  I have my mission.  I may never know it in this life, but I shall be told it in the next.  I am a link in a chain, a bond of connection between persons.
He has not created me for naught.  I shall do good; I shall do His work.
I shall be an angel of peace, a preacher of truth in my own place, while not intending it if I do but keep His commandments.
Therefore, I will trust Him, whatever I am, I can never be thrown away.  If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him, in perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him.  If I am in sorrow, my sorrow may serve Him.  He does nothing in vain.  He knows what He is about.  He may take away my friends.  He may throw me among strangers.  He may make me feel desolate, make my spirit sink, hide my future from me.  Still, He knows what He is about.

            We may not know what God has specifically intended for us.  But we know we are called to follow Him in all things.  We also know that our time is short, especially compared to eternity.  Jesus was not melodramatic.  So may we take seriously the serious words of Jesus: “‘Be watchful! Be alert!’”