24 September 2014

A Different Side of Jesus


Twenty-fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time
            If you only see me at weekend Masses, your idea of my interests is probably a little skewed.  That’s not any condemnation of you or me, just probably a good presumption.  It’s not that I’m being disingenuous during Mass.  But the Mass is a formalized ritual: it has structure, a certain rhythm to it, and rules that are supposed to be followed.  And in formal situations, I embrace the formal.  Not just to be formal, but because the formal expresses a certain reality, that is an important part of our relationship with God.  The ritual nature of the Mass allows us not to wonder about what’s new this week, but allows us to go deeper into what we are celebrating.  If the Mass were noticeably different each week, we wouldn’t have the opportunity to go below what is perceived by our senses, and go to the things to which the sensible realities point.
            But I’m not always formal.  And that’s why, those who only see me at weekend Masses, are often very surprised to see me in boat shoes during the summer, or listening to country music (neither of which, I don’t think, could be categorized as formal).  The boat shoes are simply relaxing and cool me off during the warms months.  The country music moves my soul, and to me sounds more like life as I’ve experienced it (though I have not done everything you hear in country songs!).  There’s something about country that helps me enjoy a beautiful day while singing “Cruise” by Florida Georgia Line, or even helps me commiserate during sad times in life while singing “I Drive Your Truck” by Lee Brice.  Those who see me chant at solemn Masses would probably be surprised to see me enjoying a cold, adult beverage and singing at the top of my lungs at an Alabama or Scotty McCreery concert.
            Sometimes we can also get overly focused on only one perspective of Jesus.  This isn’t a bad thing in itself, but it’s important to recognize that Jesus has revealed Himself in many lights.  What do I mean?  I mean as we look at the Gospel, we see Jesus who welcomes the children, and the same Jesus calling the Pharisees and scribes a brood of vipers and whitewashed tombs.  As we look at the Gospel we see Jesus the just-judge reminding us that as we did to the least of our brothers and sisters, so we did to Him, and the same Jesus telling the woman caught in adultery that she is forgiven and only needs to go and sin no more.  Most people probably focus on one of those aspects (merciful or just, welcoming or challenging), when in fact, we miss who Jesus is if we do not acknowledge the other aspects of Jesus that do not come naturally to us.
            For example, we might think of Jesus as the perfectly fair one.  And there are times in Scripture where Jesus advocates giving each his due.  However, in today’s Gospel, His generosity is accentuated.  Jesus reminds us that God is generous with His love, which we cannot earn, and it doesn’t matter how long we’ve been at this disciple thing: God will continue to shower His love on us.  The workers who worked more expected more (which would be fair).  But Jesus’ teaches us about God’s generosity even to those who have not earned it.  For the first to be last and the last to be first does not quite seem fair.  But in this passage, Jesus emphasizes God’s generosity, not His fairness.
            The attributes of God that we tend to focus on also tend to be the things we want.  For one who knows he or she is not worthy of God’s love, the mercy of God is probably the sweetest part of the Gospel.  For one who wants the world to follow the plan of God and has worked hard to follow that plan, the consequences of sin is the best part of the Gospel.  Or, the attributes of God that we tend to focus on are a reflection of ourselves.  God just tends to look like a better version of us that legitimizes our own view points.  Someone once said that Jesus’ mission was to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.  Maybe that doesn’t quite do it justice, but the Gospel is meant to challenge all of us because while we can know who God is, we can never exhaust who God is.  There is always a way in which each of us needs to be challenged by God to grow in certain areas, and to be comforted by God to rest in Him in certain areas.  As long as we live, we are never done being challenged by God; we are never done being comforted by God. 
            That is why the Prophet Isaiah reminds us in our first reading: “Seek the Lord while he may be found.”  If we only look for God in the ways we are expecting, we will miss the many blessings and challenges that the Lord has in store for us to help us to grow in relationship with Him.  When I was in high school, I had a crush on a girl, and wanted a way to talk to her.  I found out she liked country music, and started to listen to it on my own.  My crush went away, but my love of country didn’t.  Because I was willing to try something new out of the desire for a deeper relationship, I was able to appreciate what is, in my opinion, the best form of music on the radio.  If we are willing to try something new for God–a Bible study, a new form of service, serving at Mass, joining the Knights of Columbus or CCW or the choir–who knows the truly great things that God has in store for us?!? 
            God has revealed Himself in Jesus, and we can truly know who God is, though we can never exhaust that knowledge.  Stretch yourself; get to know God in a way that you haven’t before.  Pray in a new way.  Seek the Lord while He may be found.  Call on Him while He is near.