25 March 2013

The Path


Palm Sunday of the Passion of the Lord
            There has been much talk recently about the humility of Pope Francis.  Some of the people I know have been a bit offended, taking the emphasis on Pope Francis’ humility as a comment on an alleged lack of humility by Benedict XVI, our Pope Emeritus.  Personally, I don’t see it as an attack on Pope Emeritus Benedict, who was himself very humble (and I can say that as a personal witness of his humility when I met him in Rome).  Others have rightly seen the humility of Francis as a means of evangelization.  There is something about Pope Francis which preaches the Gospel even in the way he acts, which is very reminiscent of St. Francis of Assisi and St. Dominic.
            I have preached on humility before, but this time I want to focus on humility as the acceptance of wherever God leads us.  True humility means accepting the path that God has chosen for us, even when that path runs through suffering and death.  St. Paul talks about the humility of Jesus, “taking the form of a slave…and found human in appearance,…becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.”  Jesus, as we heard in our Gospel, was open to accepting the Father’s will.
            He accepted the Father’s will when he entered in triumph in His city, Jerusalem, to the shouts of joy from the crowd.  He accepted the Father’s will when it meant being betrayed by one friend, denied by another, and abandoned by most of his other friends.  He accepted the Father’s will when he was led to the cross to die a most horrible death, hanging naked in utter shame before a crowd who mostly mocked him, next to two criminals.
            It is hard to accept suffering.  It is hard to accept dying to ourselves and our wills.  But it is true humility when we know that God the Father is in charge, and we are not, and when we go where He leads us.  It is hard to embrace the cross as the means of our salvation.  But all Jesus’ life, and this entire week of liturgy, points to Friday, which itself points to Sunday.  Today’s celebration begins with joy and shouts of “Hosanna,” but quickly changes to the somber recalling of the passion.  The Last Supper, which we will celebrate on Thursday, is the liturgical anticipation of the sacrifice of the true Lamb of God on Calvary, and the way that Jesus institutes among His apostles so that all of his disciples, ordained and lay alike, can connect to the power of Jesus’ kenosis, his emptying of Himself entirely.
            Each time I celebrate Mass, I kiss the altar.  The cross is the altar where Jesus was sacrificed, and so the altar is the cross, which I kiss.  As I walk up these steps in the sanctuary, I am walking towards Golgotha, to kiss the cross on which Jesus is sacrificed.  I bring my own sufferings, my own trials which the Lord has given to me.  I bring your sufferings, your trials which the Lord has given you, the ones that I am aware of, and the ones I have not even begun to imagine, but which the Lord has placed on my shoulders just as He placed the cross on Jesus’ shoulders.  And I kiss that altar, that cross, because my offering of myself, my offering of you, will become the means of my glory and yours, as the Father takes our pain and suffering and death, and gives back to us new life in the Eucharist.  As I kiss that altar I kiss the demands on my time, my failures, my weaknesses, my sins.  As I kiss that altar I kiss the economic struggles, the children who are away from the Church, the sick and the suffering, the troubled marriages, the hurt, the loss of family through death, and the sins that you bring to Mass and which I carry for you. 
            But just as it was only through Jesus’ cross that the resurrection was possible, so for me it is only through being sacrificed on that altar in the bread and the wine that I rise to new life, and so for you it is only through being sacrificed on that altar in the bread and the wine that you rise to new life.  Do not run from the crosses in your life; embrace them, kiss them!  Because it is through those crosses, born with love, united to Jesus, that new life is possible.  Humbly accept the path God has chosen for you, even when it leads to Golgotha, even when it means “becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross,” because God will greatly exalt you, and bring you to new life in Jesus Christ our Lord, “to the glory of God the Father.”  Amen.